timelines & sequencing

This little brainchild started to come into being some 8 to 10 years ago.  Life was pretty complicated at the time and I swore that somehow there would come a day when I would have a little place on this planet that I could again call home.

The internet is invaluable.  It provides a wealth of design ideas for cottages, sheds, tiny houses, historical buildings (which you know were not built with complex machinery).  I searched the web for what I liked and began to buy books so I would have something to study in greater detail.

Tools can be expensive.  Being in no position to begin to build anything at that time, each payday new tools found their way into my arsenal.  Without breaking the bank I created a stockpile that freed me from borrowing or renting tools at a later date.

Next came tentative costs.  Surfing the web for tiny appliances and using spec sheets, I priced out the details of a tiny home with the approximate square footage I intended to construct.

Not being in the trades, I wanted to teach myself some skills so I decided to go with a tiny house built on a flatbed.  In this way I could teach myself to build on a smaller scale.  When complete, the flatbed would be moved to a piece of land giving me a place to stay while I built the permanent structure.  This meant I first needed said flatbed.  It also meant I needed to make the decision to keep all materials as light and efficient as possible during the design process.

Somewhat out of sequence a few great deals presented themselves so I took advantage of the cost savings.  A wind generator (windmill), tankless hot water heater, and engineered flooring were bought and set aside for later use.

One of the more costly items, a propane generator was also purchased.

Several building plans were purchased to allow for my own hybrid design, and to further aid in general knowledge.

After looking at both new and used trailers I found, on Craig’s List, a used trailer that met my requirements.  It needed work (completely new brake system, new tires).  The deck could have been retained but I chose to make changes to it and I opted for going with new wood.  All metal was wire brushed and painted with Rustoleum.  After factoring for the improvements, going with a used trailer saved in the realm of $1,000 to $1300.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s